1. Tell us about the Threaded Man
The Threaded Man is a modern African who doesn’t only dress well but also respects those around him, especially women. The Threaded Man is a lifestyle; it’s not only about grooming men in terms of style but also challenging how they think. As men in society, we need to do better.
2. The five essentials in every guy’s wardrobe are…
Barely out of his teens, 22 year old Siyabonga Beyile is the creative director of his incredibly successful blog – The Threaded Man – a runner up for the African Blogger Award this year.
Chelsea boots, a well-fitted suit, jeans, V-neck tees and a quality leather jacket.
3. Your top three stylish SA men are…
Wow! It has to be Riky Rick, Siyabonga Ngwekazi and Nape Phasha.
4. What’s on your playlist currently?
Right now I’m rotating these albums: Maxwell’s BLACKsummers'night; Miguel – Wildheart; The Life of Pablo by Kanye West; The Dreaming Room by Laura Mvula, and Views by Drake.
5. In your opinion, what’s the difference between style and fashion?
I read a great quote that says, “Fashion is what you buy and Style is what you do with it.” I truly believe that.
6. What kind of doors has the Threaded Man opened for you?
It’s opened soooo many doors! Most importantly, it’s given me the platform to be able to engage with my peers on more than just fashion but other issues that face our generation. I’m in a position of influence to make positive change.
7. Men’s fashion is…
8. Essential packing for an overseas trip?
Always pack a smart blazer/jacket, a good pair of jeans, clean white sneakers, and three really good fragrances.
9. What’s sexy in a woman?
Everything. Women are the most complicated human beings but that’s what makes them so intriguing. I’m attracted to women who don’t allow men to dictate their lives. They make decisions that make them happy.
10. Love is…
11. If you could be anyone for a day who would it be?
12. You can invite nine guys to dinner. Who would they be and what would be on the menu?
I wouldn’t invite nine guys; too many people overwhelm me. I would invite three guys; Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, Elon Musk from Paypal and the late, great Albert Lutuli. The menu would be traditional Xhosa dishes :)
13. What makes a guy a ‘Threaded Man’?
He doesn’t only dress well but he carries himself impeccably.
14. Where are you hoping to take the Threaded Man?
All over the world. I recently travelled to New York and a lot of opportunities presented themselves for us to expand into other markets.
15. What does it mean to be a black man in SA right now?
It means that we no longer have to pander to the fairer skin to achieve greatness.
16. What’s next for you?
Travel and work. I can’t wait to take my company to the world and experience the growth that comes with that.
17. Who would you like to collaborate with that you haven’t yet?
Laduma Ngxokolo of Maxhosa. He’s incredible and collaborating with him would be an honour.
18. What has surprised you most about The Threaded Man?
The fact that it’s grown so fast in a space of two years; what started off as a blog two years ago is now a fully operational business with employees. It’s crazy when I think about it. Never knew this would be my life at 22.
19. What puts a smile on your face?
My family, that’s my happy place and source of inspiration.
20. If money was not issue I’d …
Provide free education.
21. Love or money?
Right now in my life, Money.