Water, and lots of it, is crucial for a healthy mind and body. We cannot function without it, and chances are, you’re not drinking enough of it! Pour yourself a glass of water and find out why it is important to drink up.
You can survive for weeks without food, but severe dehydration can kill you within days. Every single cell, tissue and organ in your body requires water. In fact, more than 60% of your body is water!
You lose water throughout the day by breath (about 1 litre), sweat, urine and bowel movements, and even mild dehydration can cause your body to function sub-optimally, which is why it is important to always replace and replenish your body’s water. So, why reach for another glass?
Energy – Dehydration impacts the flow of oxygen to the brain and causes your heart to work harder to pump oxygen to your organs. This can cause you to become fatigued. Stay hydrated and stay energised.
Brain function – Your brain is about 75% water so when your brain is functioning on a full tank you will be able to think more clearly. The exchange of nutrients and toxins will be more efficient thereby enabling better concentration and mental alertness.
Physical performance – Staying hydrated improves movement, recovery and agility, which can improve physical performance and reduce the risk of injuries.
Stressless – Studies show that dehydration can lead to higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol. Stay hydrated for a happier you.
Dehydration can often be mistaken for hunger so next time you’re hungry, have a glass of water before you reach for food.
Cleanse and detox – Water improves blood circulation and flushes out toxins and impurities from the body.
Natural beauty – Your skin is an organ, and water flushes toxins from our organs and carries oxygen and nutrients to the cells to help the organs function optimally. Water can help delay the aging process of our skin, and keep it looking clear and youthful.
Our health is our biggest asset. There are many ways to a healthier you, but they are all based on the foundation of good hydration, which we can all improve immediately. Cheers to that!
* It is often advised to drink about 2 litres of water a day, but this varies for men and women, physical activity, health condition and age.
Tips to drink more water and stay hydrated
- Make it a habit to drink a big glass of water first thing in the morning.
- Have a glass of water after every bathroom break.
- Keep a bottle of water with you to sip on wherever you may be.
- Snack on water-rich foods. Cucumber, tomatoes, melons, oranges, apples, peaches, celery, strawberries and blueberries are more than 90% water.
- Watery soup and herbal teas are great options in the winter when drinking enough water can be a challenge.
- Invest in a water filter at home.
- If you find the taste of water bland, try adding a fruit or vegetable to give it a little flavor. Lemon, strawberries and cucumber are good options.
- Make it a rule that you will finish a bottle of water after every workout.
- If you need a little help to reach your daily water intake goal, download an app such as Drink Water Reminder, Plant Nanny, My Water Balance, or Aqualert.