According to Statistics South Africa, tourism contributed a staggering R103.6 billion in the gross domestic product of South Africa in 2012. Add to that the fact that there are more than 10 million tourists visiting our country each year – and Airbnb reporting that 17 million people used the service in the summer of 2015 – meaning putting your house up as a host is becoming an attractive option for a lot residents. Here are some numbers to help you decide whether you’d join the trend…
- Airbnb has a formidable social media following which includes 1.3 million
According to Statistics South Africa, tourism contributed a staggering R103.6 billion in the gross domestic product of South Africa in 2012.
- It has presence in 191
- There are an estimated 640 000
- US$2 billion is the negative impact the Hotel Association of New York City claims Airbnb cost them in 2015.
- 10 000
- The company was valued at $30 billion
- Airbnb announced its 1 millionth booking in February 2011, since its inception in August 2008
- It’s estimated that Airbnb’s revenue in 2015 was $900million
- Almost 250 000
- Cape Town has more 5 000